Sinus Headaches Symptoms
Sinus headaches are painful and frustrating. Many of our patients have been to several doctors for their ongoing headaches, and were told there was nothing they could do. We disagree. At Advanced ENT & Allergy Center, we treat sinusitis and allergies. That means we’ll get to the bottom of your sinus headaches and help you find relief.
Symptoms of sinus headaches include:
- Throbbing head
- Pain in the face, head, or cheeks
- Worsening pain if you bend forward or lie down
- Pressure around the eyes, cheeks, and forehead
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Postnasal drip
- Persistent cough
- Achy feeling in your upper teeth
Advanced ENT & Allergy Center Can Help
We offer the following treatments to alleviate headaches due to blocked sinuses:
- Medications: Certain medications can reduce swelling in the nose and improve headaches.
- Sinus Rinse Treatment: Sinus rinses can temporarily improve symptoms and offer short term relief.
- Endoscopic sinus surgery: A simple surgery that enlarges the sinus openings and eliminates headaches.
- Balloon Sinuplasty: An in-office procedure that uses a tiny balloon to open blocked sinus ducts and get rid of headaches.
- Allergy testing: An in-office skin test to determine if allergies (and which ones) are causing your headaches.
- Allergy drops: Sublingual allergy immunotherapy that can eliminate symptoms, including allergy headaches.
Treating Your Allergies and Your Sinuses
At Advanced ENT and Allergy Center, we have ENT doctors and a fellow in the Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy. Whether it’s sinusitis or allergies causing your headaches – our doctors can address all of the possible triggers. They’ll do an allergy test and a thorough examination of your sinuses/nose to get to the root of your problem. Together, you’ll decide on a treatment plan that’s best for you.
Frequently Asked Questions about Sinus Headaches
The sinuses are air-filled cavities that drain into your nose through narrow passageways. When these passageways become blocked, the sinuses cannot drain. This causes sinus pain, pressure, and infection. Initially, the blocked sinus ducts cause a negative pressure, or a vacuum, to develop inside the sinuses. This is the actual reason for sinus headaches (and sometimes migraines).
You should consider seeing a doctor about sinus headaches when…
- Symptoms occur more than 15 days a month
- You require frequent over-the-counter pain medicine
- Over-the-counter pain medicine doesn’t help
- You miss school or work because of frequent headaches
- Your headaches interfere with your daily life